Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Helpful Online Guides
Writing a successful research paper is an important process that takes time and careful planning. The overall quality of your paper will be directly effected by the quality of the research you perform and the care you take in organizing and writing the paper. Begin by using only research results that pass critical evaluation and consult the following guides for expert advice on organizing and writing your research paper.
Use these general tips* that will help you write a successful research paper:
- an opening paragraph that catches the reader's interest and clearly states the thesis of the paper, i.e., clearly states what the paper is about
- words that are spelled correctly and sentences that are grammatically correct
- unified paragraphs, with sentences transitioning from one another and developing the paragraph's central idea
- a unified theme, with paragraphs transitioning from one another and developing the paper's central idea or ideas
- a concluding paragraph that briefly summarizes the main ideas of the paper and restates the paper's main thesis, giving the reader the sense that the stated goal of the paper has been accomplished
*University of West Florida Libraries