Learning Studio Booking Policy
The Bierce Library Learning Studios are identified as rooms 61, 154, 274, and 279. These flexible, wireless, technology rich spaces effectively support instructor-led classroom activities and informal, student-initiated learning activities. Rooms 61, 154, and 274 have mobile, light-weight tables and chairs that can be configured to support the traditional classroom or collaborative group work. The Learning Studios are open when the library is open, and students may use the space and technology when the rooms are not scheduled. Laptops and/or ChromeBooks can be booked separately for use in the Learning Studios.
The following policies guide the staff responsible for approving requests to book the Learning Studios:
- Only University of Akron Faculty, Staff, or Student Groups (Registered with SOuRCe – Student Organization Resource Center) may book the Learning Studios in Bierce Library.
- Learning Studios must be booked 48 hours in advance.
- Learning Studios should be booked online at UL Learning Studios.
- Learning Studios are not a replacement for university scheduled class assignments. Faculty are encouraged to schedule activities and single classes that support their curriculum.
- Approved University programming may utilize a maximum of two Learning Studios for any one event/program.
- Requesting a room does not guarantee availability; confirmation of your booking will be sent via email.
- Departmental meetings scheduled in Learning Studios should involve training or product demonstrations that require technology in the Learning Studios. Departmental meetings are subject to room change or cancelation based on classroom need.
- Changes and/or cancelations to any existing booking will be communicated through email at least 48 hours prior to the event. All efforts will be made to reschedule the meeting/event at the scheduled time in an appropriate space.
Learning Studio booking is for faculty/staff only.
All requests must be submitted 48 hours prior
to the day and time your event is to take place. Administrative business hours are Monday through Friday - 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (8:00 am to 4:30 pm during summer hours). Weekends are not part of the 48 hours prior notice to booking a studio.
Room preference is subject to availability.
- Your event is to take place on Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 8:00 am. Your request must be received in the UL Dean's Office by Tuesday, February 5, 2018 by 8:00 am. If your request arrives after that, it will not be processed.
- You submit a studio request on Saturday, February 9, 2018 and your event is Monday, February 11, 2018. Your request will not be processed and no studio will be scheduled. Weekend submissions will only be considered for events that are to take place on Tuesday or later of that next week.
Supplementary equipment (i.e. Lenovo tablet, SMART Board pens, etc) must be checked out/in by the instructor at the Media Tech Desk at the start/end of your event.
A Bierce Tech Response Team member will arrive 10 minutes prior to your event to provide general assistance. If additional help is required during your event, please call (330) 972-8161 (University Ext. 8161).
Submitting a booking does not guarantee studio availability. Please check your email for a booking confirmation. A confirmation will be sent to you if your event is scheduled.