Pantry Pizza Chili
This recipe is a good way to use up some of those canned beans in way that will please lots of people, including kids!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (green or red), seeded and diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 jar salsa (16 oz)
- 1 jar marinara sauce (24 oz) (or other pasta sauce)
- 2 cans of beans (16 oz each), drained and rinsed (pinto beans, white beans, kidney beans or black beans work best)
- Line a soup pot with about 1/4 cup of water and heat to bubbling.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until just soft.
- Add garlic, chili powder, Italian seasoning. Coat veggies and cook for another one minute or two.
- Add salsa and marinara.
- Fill empty marinara jar with water and add to the pot.
- Add beans.
- Add more water if too thick.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add crackers
- Add cheese to sprinkle on top
- Add other pizza toppings (sliced olives, mushrooms, etc.) to sprinkle on top
- To make a bigger meal, serve chili over a baked potato
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
This is a great snack on busy days or between classes!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Blend together peanut butter, honey, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour in oats and mix until well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and roll into one-inch balls.
- Put into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks
Blackened Tuna Patties
This recipe is from the ISU Extension
- 1 can (5 ounces) tuna, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup sliced veggies (like carrots, peppers, or zucchini)
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs or dry day old bread
- 2 tbsp light ranch dressing
- Beat egg.
- In a large bowl stir all ingredients together.
- Wash hands.
- Form 4 patties. Each patty about 1/3” thick and 3” wide.
- Heat a skillet to medium.
- Spray the pan with cooking spray when hot.
- Cook the patties for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn over for 2-3 minutes more.
- Cook until patties are browned.
Black Bean Salsa
Want to be fancy? Call this "Cowboy Caviar"
- 1 can of black beans (16 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 jar of salsa
- 6 whole wheat tortillas or a bag of tortilla chips
- Drain canned beans and corn.
- In a large bowl mix with salsa.
- Serve on tortillas or with chips.