- Circulating Books from UA Libraries collection
- Instructor-provided Materials
- Reference Materials
- Government Documents
Checkout Time (Select one)
- 2 Hours
- 4 Hours
- 1 Day
- 3 Days
- 7 Days
Print materials may be found at Bierce and S&T Libraries behind the circulation desk.
- VHS Recording
- 4 hours.
Media reserves are made available to students in Media Services (Bierce Library, room 63), and can be used in our media viewing area.
What are Course Reserves
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I get free text books from the library?
Many textbooks are available from the library, but it is misleading to say they are free. Nevertheless, there are 3 ways to obtain textbooks from the library.
- To find a textbook in the main Bierce Collection with our Catalog Search.
- Request a textbook through OhioLink
- Check out Course Reserve materials at the Circulation Desk at Bierce or Science Libraries
Who can request a textbook be placed on Course Reserve?
Course reserve requests must be made by the course instructor.
How long can I take out a Course Reserve book for?
Check out times for Course Reserve materials range from 2 hours to 7 days. The loan period is decided by the professor and most materials check out for 2 to 4 hours.
What happens if I decide to keep a Course Reserve book past the due date?
Course Reserve fines are 50 cents per hour, so keeping out Reserve books past the loan period adds up quickly. After 5 days of keeping the book out, the fine will add up to $180 dollars, and you will receive a notice from the library. The book must be returned promptly, or significant disciplinary charges will follow.
Can I renew a Course Reserve book?
All Course Reserve books must come back at the due time or due date; however, if there are sufficient copies of a textbook available on reserve for other students, then you may check out the reserve book for another period.
If there are not enough reserve books, the book must be returned. An hourly textbook (2hr - 4hr) must wait on the shelf 15 minutes before it can go out to the same individual again. A daily textbook must stay on the shelf for a day before going back out to the previous borrower.
Are all of my textbooks available from the Library's Course Reserve?
No, not all textbooks are available through Course Reserves. A professor must first make the request before a book can be processed and added. If you are in need of a textbook that is not available through the library, you may ask your professor to add it.
Looking up Course Reserves
- Course Reserve items can be searched by Professor Name and Course Name / Course Number.
- Books may also be searched by Title (or ISBN / Call number), and the results will show whether it is available as a Course Reserve.
- ISBN, OCLC Numbers, and Call numbers may provide more accurate results.