Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Virtual Introduction to Librarian for SLP
Welcome to the SLP Research Guide!
I am Marilia Antúnez, the Librarian for Speech-Language Pathology. Please contact me if you need advice/training on using Library resources to support your study, teaching or research. Best wishes in your studies, Marilia
If I am not available, please call 330-972-8323, or contact us at http://www.uakron.edu/libraries/about/contact.dot
Accessing Electronic Resources Off-Campus?
Be sure to use the UA Libraries Catalog or Web site to use the proxy server. Go to a definition of a proxy server. opens new window You will be prompted for your UANet ID and password from The University of Akron Login screen. Most of the time you will be prompted one time per browser session.
If you go to the URL of the resource directly, you will bypass the proxy server.
Some resources like SciFinder will require another user id and password, but most don't. Often when you are prompted by anything besides The University of Akron Login screen, either
- you did not go through or were somehow dropped by the proxy server or
- we do not have access to the particular item, such as an article from a year of a journal that is not part of our subscription. Check the Publication Finder to verify dates that we subscribe.
Report a Problem
The Bierce Library
The Science & Technology Library
You may use either link below to report problems accessing the electronic resources.
Report Any Problems with a Resource
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Periodicals
Writing Assistance (for on-campus and distance students)
Get a second opinion and improve your papers! Contact Bierce Writing Commons for in-person assistance.
Online students only may want to contact the Online Writing Lab/eTutoring.org
Other Tools to Improve Papers:
- https://app.grammarly.com/ is an online editing system that provides detailed explanations about rules and word choice. The free version might help with revising your papers. Upgrades are available for a fee.
- http://theoatmeal.com/tag/grammar is grammar refresher. Please note that, given its humorous tone, some may find the comics offensive.
Solutions to Common Troubleshooting Questions
- If you are trying to download an article, check the E-JOURNALS page to verify dates that we subscribe. Search this page for electronic journals and conference proceedings.
- Add the UA Library proxy URL (http://ezproxy.uakron.edu:2048/login?url=) to access resources remotely.
To do this, get the link of a library resource (article, journal, database, etc.), and follow these steps:
1. Copy the full URL of the library resource and paste into a browser address window (URL#1)
2. Highlight and copy the following string: http://ezproxy.uakron.edu:2048/login?url= (URL#2)
3. Paste URL#2 IN FRONT OF the URL#1. The resulting URL should look something like this:
4. You will be prompted to enter your UAnetID username and password.